Instructions Prior to Surgery
On the day before surgery
- Proceed with normal activities, normal diet
After midnight before the day of surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, candy, gum, mints
- Brushing teeth is okay
On the day of surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything
- Brushing teeth is okay
- Shower if you did not shower the night before
These are typical instructions. Your instructions by your surgeon or doctor may vary.
If your physician has asked you to take critical medications, take the medication with a sip of water early in the morning of your surgery.
Some medications may cause extra bleeding and bruising, and should be stopped days to weeks before the day of surgery:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen, Motrin, Aleve, Advil, Naprosyn, etc.)
- Vitamin E
- Fish oil
- Herbal Medicines (especially Gingko Biloba)
- Clopidrogel (Plavix)
- Prasugrel (Effiant)
- Dabigatran (Pradaxa)
- Apixaban (Eliquis)
- Rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
- Enoxaparin (Lovenox)
Each patient is different. Please follow your surgeon or doctor’s recommendations on when exactly to stop taking these medications.
Instructions for Day of Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything. Brushing teeth is okay.
- Shower if you did not shower the night before.
- Take your medications with a small sip of water. In general, it is imperative that all blood pressure and heart medications are taken at their normal dose and any diabetic medication is taken at ½ the dose. Our office will call you prior to surgery to let you know this information.
- Do not wear makeup, nail polish, jewelry or contact lenses.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing that is easy to change. Wear comfortable shoes or slippers.
- Do not bring any valuables. If you are staying in the hospital after surgery, you may have someone bring you a small suitcase with necessities for after surgery.
- Identification Card
- Insurance Information
- List of Medications you are currently taking
- Advance Directive (If applicable)
Arriving Day of Surgery
If you are scheduled for surgery in the main hospital (8700 S. Beverly Blvd)
- Arrive at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center 2 hours prior to surgery.
- Park in the South Tower (Lot P3, with valet), or Lots P1 (North Tower), P2, and P4. These all provide partial validation.
- Check in at the South Tower Street Level Reception desk.
- You will be escorted to your appropriate operating room area afterward.
If you are scheduled for outpatient surgery at 90210 Surgery Center (450 N Roxbury Drive, 6thfloor, Suite 600) or Precision Ambulatory Surgery Center (450 N Roxbury Drive, 2nd floor, Suite 240)
- Arrive 1-1/2 hours prior to surgery.
- Park under the building (Dr. Towfigh’s office will provide validation), across the street diagonally in Public Parking, or around the corner on Bedford for 2-hours free Public Parking.
- Check in at the Reception desk.